Crochet crisis…

May 12, 2009 24 Comments by Kirsty
↑Weave/ladder stitch from wrong side

↑Join as you go (liking this less than I thought I would)

↑Double crochet (front runner)

When I started my granny squares last year I decided that this would be a “go slow” project & that all the yarn would be Op Shop purchased.

I started running out of contrasting yarn about 30 squares in & have had to purchase bits & pieces along the way (I’m really not good at slow). I did have a huge Op Shop stash of nasty Panda acrylic which I’ve been finishing each round with. I ran out of that too…70 squares in.

On Saturday I went to purchase more & of course the dyelot is different & when the two dyelots lie next to each other the difference is quite obvious. I had a little tantrum & totallly dropped the ball with my granny a day. I’ve missed 2 of the last 3 days. Sorry Pip.

I had planned to “Join As You Go”, making the biege the main colour & allowing the contrasting colours to “pop”. If I go with this method (& not worry about the dyelot difference) I need 80 squares before I begin joining.

But now I just don’t know. I think I’m liking the double crochet in a contrasting colour.

If I go with the other options I think I’ll need at least 100 squares…

24 Comments

1. Chrsitie
    5 years ago

i actually like the weave/ladder stitch best

2. CurlyPops
    5 years ago

I’m liking the contrasting double crochet. It makes a feature of each separate granny square.

3. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Oh no! Now I’m confused. What about the colour variation? I thought that the contrast colour between might make the difference less obvious.

4. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Yep…I think(?) I like the “frame” idea but Christie’s preference for the ladder/weave has got me a bit worried.

5. trashalou

One or three.

6. Janice L. Meyer
    5 years ago

I myself prefer to use join as you go on most of my work, but it loses something here with the same colors side by side. I think join as you go would work if the squares were more contrasted, giving you a smoother surface finish to the project.
    Of the other two- I prefer the double crochet front runner method. It has more of the “traditional” grannies I grew up with, and provides delineation between same color joins. All 3 work- just a matter of personal preference.

7. Kirsty
    5 years ago

I’m going with one or three that’s for sure. I really thought that I was going to love the other but it doesn’t look right at all.

8. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Small boy agrees with you. He thinks the double crochet is show offish. Ha.

9. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Thanks Janice. I was going with the join as a I go because I was trying to mimic a white one I saw “in the flesh”. I agree though…it just doesn’t really work with the browns.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts.

10. Melanie
    5 years ago

I like the ladder stitch too, just because it’s a really neat join, though I see what you mean about delineating the squares. Hmmm… dilemma (or trilemma!)

11. Kitty
    5 years ago

Goodness me! You have options? I just kinda went with it. Your's will look super perfect next to mine. Ha ha.
    I think I agree with Christie, nice & simple. But then now that I look at it some more, the double crochet looks mighty fancy.
    I guess I'm no help to your decision making. I hope no sleep is lost.
    kitty x

12. Kirsty
    5 years ago

I THINK I might have found a 4th option…sheesh.

13. Kirsty
    5 years ago

What did you do Kitty? Join as you go? Yours looks great. I know I’m probably over thinking but the change in dyelots really puts me off. It doesn’t show up in the photos so maybe it’s only obvious to me because I know…

14. littlelovelies
    5 years ago

i think i like option no.1 – but i see what you mean it is very confusing… & i've also dropped the ball a little when it comes to the squares… i need more wool too! i here by pledge to make some squares today to make up for my short term lack of granny love! x nadine

15. Linda
    5 years ago

I am loving the dc with contrasting colour. looks fab

16. Mal*
    5 years ago

I vote for the ladder stitch or double crochet, and would probably decide based on how much yarn I thought I could spare. Double crochet with a white would look cool, too, and give a unifying frame feel.

17. Chrsitie

i knew i like the boy
    :-)
    Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:08:09 -0700
    To: pigeonpair@hotmail.com
    From: js-kit-m2c-KGB2NFBPU33BK4HQBRJGJT43GGTJA4G8NN22R15K5J432RFRVJI0@reply.js-kit.com
    Subject: Reply to your comment…

18. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Thanks Linda…it’s back to the hook for me.

19. Kirsty
    5 years ago

I've decided 1 or 3 so I'm just going to keep squaring & worry about it later.

20. Kirsty
    5 years ago

Agreed – the white would look good (& I have plenty – this could be the deciding factor).

21. threadsforevie
    5 years ago

I really like the double crochet, I think it gives the grannies dimension and I reckon it will look really effective in the dark color. I’m facing a similar issue – I know I want to join my grannies with dc but am not sure how to actually do it. Do you just stick right sides together and go for it???

22. Kirsty
    5 years ago

If you want the ridge and the front (like my pic) you need to work with wrong sides together.

23. laughing purple goldfish
    5 years ago

have you considered the zig-zag join???

I’ve only recently discovered it myself… it lloks fabulous worked in a contrasting colour, and has the added bonus of making your blanket bigger

I used it to join this bag… and plan to join my next blaket with it, too

24. Lara
    5 years ago

Hmmm, it’s a dilemma! Kirst, did you see how I’d joined the squares of Stella’s pram rug? It’s a simple granny square blanket. I did one extra round for all the squares in a contrast colour, then a joining method from the A-Z of Crochet (I’ll lend it to you) which I think is like the zig-zag method someone else mentioned. Shall refresh my memory and get back to you. The flat braid join is also nice, but I’m not so sure if it would be suitable for your blanket. I’m leaning toward ladder stitch from the options you’ve got here.