How to stop an avocado going brown!…

January 16, 2010 20 Comments by Kirsty

Avocado

This morning while I was shopping for fruit & veg a lovely lady offered some advice.

“Do you know that if you leave the stone from the avocado in the centre of your salad it stops the avocado browning?”

No I did not know! I knew about the lemon thing but had never heard this before. Did you?

I’m taking a green salad to a mates for lunch today. Normally I would cut & toss the avocado through just before serving but today I’m testing out this little gem of a home hint.

I’ll edit the post later with the findings.

Edited to add:
I made my green salad at 11am & the stone remained in the centre of the salad until we ate lunch around 2:30pm. The avocado had not browned at all! I don’t know how or why this worked but it did!

20 Comments

1. M* (Melanie)
    4 years ago

Yep, it's true. I always leave the half I don't use with the stone in it. It definitely slows the browning process down.

2. Liam's Mummy
    4 years ago

Interesting. I know if you leave the stone in the half of the avocado you put back in the frij it's okay, but I'm really not sure about the salad.

3. mel @ loved
    4 years ago

This is good news – if it works! Looking forward to your test results…

4. Stephanie and Carlos
    4 years ago

Well I think that is worth a try!!

xo Steph

5. Miss Amy
    4 years ago

yeah i heard this too, let us know how it goes! I might add that if you leave the stone in, put the half of avo back and leave it in there for like 2 weeks it still goes brown… :p

6. Caroline
    4 years ago

I am a bit skeptical about this. Fruit going brown after you cut it is a kind of oxidation reaction, ie. the fruit reacts when it's flesh comes into contact with the air. Leaving the stone in when you put your un-used half back in the fridge makes a bit of sense because the area covered by the stone is quite large and that protects the flesh under it, you might just get a bit of browning on the exposed flesh around it. Based on this I don't see how the stone itself has any magic properties when put in the middle of a salad, except if you have your optomism goggles on.

7. Cass
    4 years ago

I knew about leaving the stone in if you only use half although I also wrap it in alfoil but will be interested in the outcome of it in the salad

8. Umatji
    4 years ago

yep, I'm with Cass – leave the stone in the fruit and alfoil. I have a square that I use over and over for avocado and I must say that alfoil rather than gladwrap or whatever makes a world of difference to the avo!

9. pixelhazard
    4 years ago

Oh You have me intrigued for the follow up

10. dillpickle
    4 years ago

I never knew that! I'll try it next time I make a salad.

11. Amanda
    4 years ago

I love Avocados and did not know this..Thanks for the tip :) Even though they hardly last long enough around here to turn brown..:P

12. Vic
    4 years ago

I can't believe that worked! I knew to keep the stone in the avocado to keep it from going brown after you cut it, but I REALLY didn't think the salad thing would work…

It's like magic! ;)

13. Posie Patchwork
    4 years ago

Yep, it works, i'm on a diet & am allowed 1/2 small avocado per day, so i leave the stone in & pop it in Tupperware, perfect the next day. Also very much VERY MUCH depends on how ripe the avocado was when you cut it- i.e. a little browing starting, you can't stop that.
    Then there is lemon on apple of course, taste sensation.
    If you need to ripen your avocadoes quickly, pop them in a brown bag with a banana, magic!!
    Love Posie

14. oneekimo
    4 years ago

sweet advice.. better give it a go

15. Alli (One Pearl Button)
    4 years ago

I used to be a skeptic, but I'll back you up – it works! I recently made guacamole and left the seed in. Two days later, it was still green. Amazing! I have no idea what the science is, but it works.

16. Gypsy
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing that somewhat bizarre tip! I can't imagine how it works, but I'll give it a go.

17. Sarah
    4 years ago

WOW it did actually work!

I will remember this …

18. Happydacks
    4 years ago

That is so great to know! Love the extra advice about guacamole too!!
    Thanks Kirsty
    Michele x
    P.S. Have you heard the one about refreshing limp parsley…soak in luke warm water 1/2 hour later it looks as fresh as when it was picked, well almost!

19. Stephanie and Carlos
    4 years ago

It worked!! Right next salad I shall do this!!

xo Steph

20. Kawaii for You
    4 years ago

What a fantastic tip! Thanks.
    Christine xo