How to make a granny shrug…

May 31, 2010 57 Comments by Kirsty

Shrug

You can do it too!
Today is your day!

How
It seems that the mulberry granny shrug has inspired a few of you to have a crack yourself. That’s super exciting & exactly why this patch of web space exists. Over the weekend Lara & I have worked together to present to you the whole box & dice for the granny shrug enthusiast.

There’s something for everyone. This is the master class…for lovely folk who like to follow a pattern, or maybe you need the visual (like me) or perhaps you’d like to watch a dinky video.

If you know how to make a granny square then you know how to make this shrug. Just crochet yourself a couple of lovely granny hexagons.

You can just skip over the “instructions” & make the granny exactly as you always do. Maybe you slip across to the next chain space…ripper knock yourself out. There is no “right” way to make it.

You’ll just end up with a lovely curly hexagon…good, that’s great…exactly what we want. Just keep checking your sizing after each round to decide when you’re done.

Mine have been 9 rounds (in the Wilderness) but depending on your tension & hook size yours might be 8 or 10 or more. Keep folding the curly hex in on itself until you’re confident that the fit will be right for you.

the pattern
My very favourite crocheter is Lara. She’s one of the reasons I picked up the hook in the first place. She likes to be good at stuff & works hard to make sure she gets things right. Well, guess what? She’s written a fabulous, fabulous pattern (it might not have posted yet…be patient) for you to print & keep. And spared you all from my effort at a written explanation. Thank you Lara, you’re the very best & it was lovely to share the making of the how to with you.

& the video
Just so you know it was really hard to crochet standing up stradling a tripod & keeping (or trying) the crochet in the frame.

Australian/UK terminology
Yarn
You’ve got a HUGE amount of flexibility here. You want to achieve a good deal of chunkiness & you’ll just adjust your number of rounds accordingly so pick something that suits your style. I did make the suggestion the other day to use stash yarns crocheted together to make up the chunky style yourself.

I used Patons “Wilderness” 14ply. I like it…A LOT. It’s a blend so purists might like to check out other options but I think it’s just the perfect yarn for the job. Here’s why… (& where to buy too).

OR you can have a go with 2 balls of 8 ply held together or whatever else takes your fancy. You’ll just adjust your number of rounds according to tension & fit. Go nuts. Lara’s using two strands of 12ply & is very happy with the result.

Hook
I’d say 15mm. I’m really happy with the result I’m getting with the 15mm hook. You need it to be loose so that you get a nice drape with the finished “fabric”. We’re not going for sturdy here folks…we want the pretty drape.

Making Up
I switched to a 2.65mm hook & just used double crochet up the centre back seam.

Then I doubled along the top sleeve seams & single crocheted along the back of the neck opening to give extra strength.

Again if you know how to do it your own way…do that. It will be great.

What, haven’t had enough? Here’s the steak knife! A round by round for the visual learner.

Other Stuff
There’s a flickr group.

46 Comments

1. Maggie
    4 years ago

yay! thanks so much for this, this is at the absolute top of my to-do list. Actually something I want to make for myself.

2. Liesl
    4 years ago

I am so excited – I've been out and bought my hook and yarn this morning. Thank you for all the work you and Lara have put into this!

3. TammyJ
    4 years ago

Amazing Kirsty, Thank you so much I was admiring your shrugs but had no idea how to do it! I can follow your directions so very easily and have a stash of Patons Jet 12ply left over from an Ebay purchase last year that would work well for this. Thanks for taking the time to put the visual tutorial together! A great collaboration! your flickr pool will fill up in no time : )

4. Leah
    4 years ago

Thanks heaps to both you and Lara. I started mine on the weekend…couldnt wait. I found the 15mm to loose so im onto a 12mm hook much better. Im so looking forward to seeing everyones shrugs.

5. Andi
    4 years ago

I've already seen these popping up all over blogdome.
    Imagine how many MORE are about to pop up now!!!
    You're a clever chick!!

6. 'Joyce'
    4 years ago

Lara and Kirsty, thank you so much for your time and love that has gone into sharing this with us all. You are going to be seeing your shrugs everywhere you go now, what a wonderful compliment to you both. I have just finished a throw rug for my little one, and cannot wait to get some yarn and hook into this for myself. Blessings.

7. Baa-Me Kniits
    4 years ago

Kirsty you are a technical genius!! Have you got sore leg muscles today form the acrobatics needed to video your fabulous tutorial? You and Lara have done a really great job! I'm waiting for more 'Wilderness' in the mail so I can finish my cardi, will post on Flickr when done :-)

8. Tania Murphy
    4 years ago

Found the link via Lara's sight – she to inspired my to pick up a crochet hook will share your post with my facebook fans – Cheers

9. Chasing Purple Dreams
    4 years ago

I love my shrug, I am onto number two. I shall pop over to the flickr page and add my creation to the fashion parade!

10. One Flew Over

Thanks for sharing Kirst xx

11. Tania
    4 years ago

Cripes woman! When did you have time for a weekend at all? Fabulous work. Now go and have a nice sit down and cuppa.

12. Kylie
    4 years ago

Thankyou for tis – adding it to the list of things to make for ME – I can see a trip to spotlight on the cards.

13. garcia.sol
    4 years ago

I love granny shrugs and will rejoice the day I could make my own and not have to buy them…I need a bit more practice before i attempt this one…but one day! hehe

14. Anna
    4 years ago

thank you so much for sharing, very generous of you to spend time putting this together.

15. Buy Design
    4 years ago

Multi-tasking…. Crocheting,talking and and filming at the same time. Very impressive.
    Starting on shrug no2 today and loving shrug no1. Mine is 7mm hook with chunky 'Signature' yarn. It took 11 rounds to get the right size.
    Fiona x

16. crochet with Raymond
    4 years ago

thank you so much for tutorial!!! Its lovely and I've found some frighteningly expensive wool which wouuld be prefect for it!
    Loving you blog

17. Ooty

Thanks!! Super great =)

18. Pooch
    4 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you–you sweet thing!! How fun!

19. handmadehappiness
    4 years ago

yeah so happy you posted this kirsty i have been drooling i am off to buy wool mmmmmm

20. ArtMind
    4 years ago

Thanks heaps, Kirsty! Now I need to find a fat hook & time! :)
    Did I tell you you're a gem? :)

21. Valerie
    4 years ago

this is brilliant ! and I want to try & make it !! (even though I'm not used to the UK terminology but to using japanese diagrams !)
    we went on a Ikea shopping trip today & I stopped by a yarn store on the way…
    Thank you for sharing the pattern and congratulations to you both

22. Becky
    4 years ago

In a big bloggy coincidence, my creative space for today is my first ever 4 Granny Squares so now I think I can do this!

Off to town this morning and might add yarn and hook to my list of jobs…

23. Fiona
    4 years ago

I've been struggling with crochet since January – your video finally cleared up some problems that my book didn't. Have completed a granny square and some circles now and am contemplating buying some yarn for this shrug.

I've gone from disaster to possibly competent novice in about 2 days! Thank you!

24. zofia
    4 years ago

Thank you Thank you! I've already had a stumble along on my own…this will be fabulous! :D

25. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    4 years ago

I am so, so excited about this! And luckily I'll be doing two ten hour drives this month- perfect! Thanks so much to both of you, I'll be linking. yay!

26. Fiona

I made it … at last!!!

27. Anonymous
    4 years ago

Can you knit with Big wool from Rowan ? I've been looking for 14 ply yarn but in shops, i always have the same answer NO. The only alternative is Rowan Big wool but it's quite expensive. Many thanks

28. fairyhedgehog
    3 years ago

This is a wonderful pattern. It works up so quickly and easily and gives a great result. I’d despaired of making a shrug with Lion Brand Homespun but this one made up beautifully.

Thank you!

29. Sara
    2 years ago

This is completely awesome! One of my all time favorite finds. If I can squeeze this into my week I will have one by the weekend. Linking up at Tangled Happy tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this amazing pattern! :)

30. Fabiola Flores
    2 years ago

Hola, estuve viendo el video de grany blusa, esta genialmente me gusto mucho, muchas felicidades!
    Gracias por compartir, saludos desde Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico…

31. Nesbi Maret
    2 years ago

Just finished one for my 3y/o, will take a pic and link back.

TY So much for sharing.

32. Julia
    2 years ago

Thank you, Kirsty, for this wonderful pattern!
    It is so easy to make and looks gorgeous!
    I had enough wool over to crochet a matching flower brooch.

Greetings from Germany,
    Julia

33. moisel nylev
    2 years ago

Le mien est fait merci ! Moisel Nylev.

34. Jennie
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern and tutorial. I have’nt made this yet but i have bought some bulky yarn and am still working up the wherewithall to get on it.

35. Anne
    2 years ago

LOVE it! Haven’t made a full size one yet, but my teddy bear is rockin his! I decided to stitch the front of his up, to turn it into a pull over, but didn’t go all the way up, so he has a cute collar from the two points folded down. Must get a pic posted!

36. Ellen Mackler
    2 years ago

I love this pattern! It is now on my list of things to do, thank you!!!

I have reblogged it here:

37. CosIadoru
    2 years ago

Thank you so much to share this pattern.It is on my to do list now:)

38. CrochetDad
    1 year ago

I just finished mine for my wife. I used thinner yarn (Paton Bamboo Silk) and an I hook for a less bulky look. Wife loves it.

39. Tamara
    1 year ago

Great pattern! Hexagons always kind of blow my mind, and this is just extra awesome. I’ve linked to it on my blog this morning! http://www.mooglyblog.com/quick-crochet-with-a-q-hook/

40. Dara Weyna
    1 year ago

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern! I finished mine over the weekend. It really is a great little pattern and I will be making it again. Best, Dara

41. Kathy
    1 year ago

I am making this right now, I am substituting Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn as Paton’s Wilderness has been discontinued. Lovely and easy.

42. Aubrey Trescott
    1 year ago

I love the pictures! I am so visual and they just made it make sense in my head! Can’t wait to get started on this! Thanks!

43. Beth
    3 months ago

Thank you so much for the pattern! It worked up beautifully and so easy. I was fascinated by the hexagon becoming half a sweater and just had to try it. I used justover six skeins of Bernat Mosaic M yarn (209 yds/191 mtrs ea) and an H 5.0 MM hook. It took 19 rows to make a medium. I edged it in reverse single crochet. I gave it to my sister for her birthday and she loves it!

44. Dawn
    2 months ago

Where is the written pattern for this i can’t find it.

45. Caroline
    2 months ago

I made this and its a brilliant pattern, I love it, once you get to row 5 and see you have a hexagon, the rest is easy. I used a DK and a 7mm hook so it drapes beautifully. Thanks Again.

11 Trackbacks

1. By shrugging « on February 15, 2011 at 1:48 am

[...] found the pattern over at kootoyoo.  It made of 2 granny hexagons that are stitched together in the [...]

2. By Humble Beginnings - Blowtorch Crafts on March 28, 2011 at 5:48 am

[...] fell for the simplicity of Kirsty’s Granny Shrug (ravelink).  It is essentially two large hexagons sewn [...]

3. [...] Kootoyo “How To Make A Granny Shrug” -  I’m so determined to make this I’ve ordered a 15mm hook and a dozen balls of [...]

4. By Womens Shrugs DIY « Bolero Shrug Boutique on October 29, 2011 at 1:09 am

[...] How To Make A Granny Shrug? (This cool guide is offered you the fabulous tips on how to develop a granny shrug where you can make one for your grandma, she absolutely will appreciate this gift.) [...]

5. By Two hexagons… | The Green Dragonfly on November 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm

[...] can find how to make one here (at Kootoyoo- a very cool site) and the written pattern is here (Thornberry is another great [...]

6. By Princess Poppy | The Green Dragonfly on May 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

[...] you guessed it, this is another Granny Shrug.  You can find out how to make one here (for Princess Poppy you only need to make 3 rounds per piece, using DK yarn and a 4mm hook. Then sew [...]

7. [...] How to make a granny shrug… | kootoyoo. [...]

8. By Quick Crochet with a Q Hook: 10 Free Patterns on December 19, 2012 at 4:00 am

[...] Granny Shrug, by Kirsty of kootooyoo: Two big hexagons and you’ve got a sweater! Make it in any size, from child to adult – just keep adding rows until the hexagons are the size you need. [...]

9. By The Mulberry Granny Shrug | Mina Blossom on March 17, 2013 at 4:25 am

[...] I found this great little shrug on Pinterest and was really excited to try it out, as I have never made a piece of clothing yet. Its called the mulberry granny shrug and you can find detailed instructions here! [...]

10. By Tuesday’s Tool (#6) Granny Shrug | Simply Knots on August 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm

[…] be able to translate it. There’s a picture tutorial that goes along with it as well. Kootoyoo made an excellent use of Hexagons. I love love love this pattern and I will be using it for a […]

11. By Granny Square Shrug on November 3, 2013 at 3:18 am

[…] has easy to understand step-by-step instructions and a video on her site, and Lara has a written pdf file for you to […]