How to make a project tote for yarny types

July 1, 2011 12 Comments by Kirsty

I got kind of excited about the yarn bowl I made last week & thought you guys might like to have a go at a simple speedy one yourselves.

You might also need to visit my previous tute on drawstring bags to make sense of the top casing but it really is a very simple project. It took me far longer to write the how to than it took to make.

simple project tote for yarny types

View more presentations from kootoyoo
Happy weekend folks & may your yarn remain tangle & dust free. x

9 Comments

1. katiecrackernuts
    3 years ago

Pretty damn excited about that fabric. It’s fabulous.

2. Kate
    3 years ago

You are such a clever crafter.

Thanks for the how to…you know I would make one in a flash but no need when I got the first one ;)

x

3. Tania
    3 years ago

Disturbingly, last night I decided I was bored of knitting. (I am almost finished no less than four projects). Perhaps this is the answer. I need four more unfinished projects like a hole in the head. I need to sew myself some yarny tote encouragement…

4. lamina @ do a bit
    3 years ago

Gosh I really need one of these!! Thanks :)

5. Kylie
    3 years ago

Fabulous idea Kirsty – thanks for sharing this… it’s something I desperately need at the moment :) You’re an ideas girl, it has to be said. Kx

p.s. Any brilliant ideas for rolling yarn into balls from those big loopy things? ;)

• Teresa
      3 years ago

I think what you’re calling “loopy things” are skeins. Usually a skein will undo into one big loop. Sometimes it has ties in it, and you have to cut or untie those before you can wind the yarn. There’s a couple of easy ways. The easiest is to spend the money on a yarn swift and a ball winder. This makes it go ever so fast, but it’s kind of pricey — ball winders run about $20, not so bad, but swifts can be expensive (especially the good ones)!

I’m a cheap student, though, so I use my knees or a gallon jug filled with water, and wind onto my flashlight. I know, it sounds crazy, but a MagLite flashlight (or any flashlight with a nice, smooth grip that yarn can slide off easily when you’re done) works great as something to wind yarn around; I use my little AA-battery one that I carry around in a sleeve on my belt. Or you could use a bit of old broom handle, if you sand it down nice and smooth, or a bit of dowel from the hardware store that’s sanded — anything smooth and round(ish) without a lip or anything to catch the yarn on (at least) one end.

Basically, you just wind a little bit straight around, and then you start winding from the top of one side down to the bottom of the other. Turn the flashlight just a little bit with every wind, or every three or four winds if you’re lazy like me. It takes a while, but it’s a great movie-watching activity, and you end up with beautiful yarn balls. If you keep track of your starting end (I just let it dangle, being careful not to catch it up later when I’m winding) they’re even center-pull balls.

6. Rachel
    3 years ago

YES! Thank you sooo much for this! I realized last night my current wip sweater is getting too unwieldy for my knitting bag and I NEED to make something like this. Thanks tons! I’ll be linking as well.

7. Lara
    3 years ago

What a great tute Kirsty! I need to make myself one of these. Especially that I now have a swift and ball winder so have been turning skeins into centre pull balls that would sit beautifully in the bottom of one of those bags!

8. Tammi
    3 years ago

Brilliant, this is just what I need….lately our cat thinks that a ball of yarn on the floor is there for the taking….this will sort her out :)

3 Trackbacks

1. […] Project tote for yarny types – […]

2. By Make a project bag | Tracey Knits on July 8, 2011 at 5:17 pm

[…] at Kootoyoo has the answer. She has created a fabulous tutorial on making your own project bags. Make them […]

3. By 10 cool sewn things « thrifted. on October 29, 2011 at 5:41 am

[…] the seams of the bags, and I’m sick of how ugly it all looks in my purse. A project bag like this one is in […]